Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Oh Gravy!

Have you ever had chocolate gravy?? Chances are if you live in the south- you have! Well, for those of you who, haven't you must try it!

Here's what you need:

2T Self rising flour
2 c milk
1T cocoa
1 t vanilla
3/4 c sugar

Here's my recipe card. You can tell it's been used a lot!

You will want to mix the flour, cocoa, sugar together in a non-stick skillet. Add some water ( a few tablespoons) to this mixture until it is kind of pasty.
Then, put it on medium high heat. Cook it for a minute or so and then start adding milk.

Cook it until you get a good gravy consistency.

Keep stirring so it doesn't stick or burn.

Take it off the heat and add the vanilla.


My kids and hubby LOVE chocolate gravy. It is darn good, but I prefer this "white sop" kind!


To serve, butter up your biscuits...


and then, pour the gravy on top.


Then, enjoy! I'm linking to Jen's Tasty Tuesday!

4 comments:

susan said...

Is this the recipe in the "Sweet Potato Queens" book? I read it many years ago and remember the mention of chocolate gravy. I have never had it and am afraid to try it--I know I would like it!

Vanessa said...

Hi Susan! Not sure if this recipe is from that book or not! I'm sure there are several versions out there! This one is actually my mother-in-law's recipe. Of course, she makes it with a little of this and a little of that! We had to just figure out the measurements. It sure is yummy!

Melissa said...

I'm definitely trying this out and curious as to how this is the first time I've ever heard of chocolate gravy!

Laura Forman said...

mel, this is the first time you have heard of choc gravy?? i can't believe you never had it at any of the calvary youth functions?? oh it is sooo yummy! but you definitely ust love chocolate...vanessa, you have me in the mood for it, i might be making some soon!! :)