Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Finally a DIY project!!
I have been working hard to try and get my house in order, but there is still SOOOOO much to do! It doesn't help that this is the busiest time of year with all the holidays and school. But, I wanted to share with you a project from this past weekend.
A few weeks back, The Little Green Notebook posted about some pelmet boards she made from foam core board (She has some great ulphostered headboards, too) . My mom and I had made several of these before in previous homes but we used insulation board. Someone commented on TLGN about an idea of making a headboard using the same method. The wheels in my mind started turning because I had this that needed to be covered up:
So, I asked my wonderful husband to grab me an insulation board while he was at Lowes. I told him to get the thickest piece they had, which I thought was around an inch. Well, he came home with one that was 2 inches thick! It turned out to be perfect! I forgot to ask him how much it was, but when I had priced them, there were some as cheap as $8 and the most expensive were about $15. So, very reasonably priced!!
First, I drew out a template. I only drew half of the design- then, traced one half, turned it over and lined it up and traced the other half.
Then, I started cutting with an electric knife. It worked, but was a little slow going since the board was so thick and dense, so I opted for using a drywall saw. It worked wonderfully, but it did make quite a mess!
Once my shape was trimmed out, I stapled batting and then the fabric, which was actually a $12 shower curtain that I had bought to actually use as a shower curtain! In some places, I used long straight pins to hold the fabric a little tighter.
So, here's the final result...well, final for now. I am still toying with the idea of adding a chocolate bias tape about 2 inches from the edge to trim it out all the way around. We'll see. I was planning to use velcro to attach it to the wall, but it turned out to be heavy enough to just put it against the wall and push the bed right up against it. It holds nicely.
Don't worry, I am not finished with her bedding either. It is all kind of pieced together for now. I almost took another picture to post on here because I absolutely hate what I did with that aqua pillow! I took that piece of damask fabric off it once I saw the pic. The pillow needs something, but not that! I'm thinking of doing a bird applique on it. We'll see... By the way, I haven't posted about it yet, but this little girl just turned 5 a couple weeks ago!! All her birthday pics are on Dad's computer, so I haven't been able to get them together for a post.
I'll have to get that up soon and tomorrow....Halloween pics will be coming. Have a great Tuesday!
Linked to Kimba's Do it Yourself Day.