Thursday, September 2, 2010

Cheap Kitchen Furniture Redo

I bought this little table 2 years ago at GW for $15. I painted the oak finish a distressed cream right after I bought it. I didn't prime it so, after moving, the distressed finish became a little too distressed and not very desirable.

I planned to paint it cream again, but thought I might go a little bolder and paint it blue. The paint was left over from another project, so there was nothing to lose but time, right?

So, I painted it blue and distressed it. Then, I applied 2 coats of wipe-on poly. I also added a shelf and trimmed it out with molding. This is the first time I have ever altered a piece of furniture with more than paint. I was pretty excited about the way it turned out. I love how the cream and the bare wood show through in spots.

This is a very important table in our house. Each child has his/her own basket to keep school papers in and those little things I find around the house that belong to them. Then on the weekends, we empty them out. I put special school projects or work that I want to keep in the bottom drawer. The top shelf has a basket where we keep things that used to clutter up the top of the table, like receipts, invitations, pens, pencils, etc.

I even gave my kitchen table a makeover. It used to look like this:

It was just a cheap-o black pedestal table- I think from Target (I bought it at a liquidation outlet.).

I really wanted a dark stained wood table with cream chairs. I was pretty sure that this table was not solid wood, so I thought it was hopeless. I decided to sand it down just to see.

I'm so glad that I did, because it was wood!

I found 2 of these chairs at GW for $14.99 (for BOTH).

I Painted them cream and recovered the cushions with a $4.98 shower curtain from Target. (I added some clear vinyl to the seats also to protect them from the many spills that will be in their future.)

Now, they look like this:

I also took two chairs like this, also bought from GW for $6.99 each, and gave them the same treatment.

So my table went from this:

To this:

And the kitchen went from this: (when it was semi-done)

To this: (done for now...I still want to paint my cabinets! )

I love it!

Cost breakdown:

Stain for table- $8
Poly- had on hand
Chairs- $30 for all 4
Spray paint for chairs- $12

Material- $4.98 shower curtain (but already had it on hand)
Clear Vinyl- around $5
Fabric trim- $3
Paint for small table- free leftover from another project (but $5 was original price)
Poly- had on hand
Piece of MDF- $7 cut for free at Home Depot
Braces for shelf- $1 also cut for free
Piece of trim- had on hand
New drawer pulls- $2 for both

Linking here, here and here. And also here and here.

15 comments:

Jodie said...

That should be in Pottery Barn's catalog! Love it!

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

You did a fantastic job! The room goes together beautifully!

Aubrey said...

The whole look is lovely! Great job!!

mydolly said...

Really great job!

Ann said...

Vanessa, I am so very impressed. What a great job on such little money. How did you learn to recover? Did you just figure it out? Looks so good. Also, what about repainting and distressing? Did someone teach you or did you teach yourself?

Anonymous said...

What a transformation! Great job.

Michelle @ Ten June said...

WOW! So many great transformations in one! I love how you used a shower curtain- what a good idea! And those GW chairs were a FABULOUS find. Just gorgeous! Great job. Thanks for visiting over at Ten June!

xo- M

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I love your kitchen redo. The chair were a great deal and look brand new. And the shelf that you painted blue is so cute. It all looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

That blue shelf is adorable!

Denissa said...

You did an awesome job! love it all :) I've been dying to re-do my kitchen table but I'm so nervous that it won't turn out right and then I'll regret it :(

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Hi, I'm linking over from Tatortots & Jello. This looks so great. I can't believe the cool stuff you've found at Goodwill. Way to go!

Warmly, Michelle

beckylbranch said...

Wow! That looks amazing! How did you apply that vinyl to the chairs without it sinching up? It looks like a magazine!

Jessi | Minnesota Mrs. said...

Oh my gosh you're right; we definitely have the same chairs! I LOVE the pattern you chose on yours. Looks so good!

my reflections said...

Love ur makeovers.....u have gr8 taste.Could you please tell me the color on your kitchen walls


Thanks
Rohitha

Vanessa said...

Thanks, Rohitha! My wall color is Mushroom Taupe by Color Place from Walmart! I hope you will check out my new blog at www.vanessadolberry.com! It got a makeover after the YHL submission. : )